Accessing the Waveform Database:
The MIMIC II Waveform Database is freely distributed and no registration is required. Access it in any of these ways:
- General users:
- View and manipulate data in a web browser
- No installation required
- Export data (text, csv, edf, mat, zip, gzip) for off-line analysis
- MATLAB programmers:
WFDB Toolbox for MATLAB
- C programmers and advanced users:
WFDB Software Package
- View and manipulate data using over 50 WFDB applications (command-line programs)
- C programmers can create custom WFDB applications using an included function library
- 10-minute semi-automated installation, requires free GNU C compiler
- Data may be downloaded using the PhysioBank ATM, or on demand from any WFDB application
Additional information and direct access to the data files can be obtained from the MIMIC II Waveform Database home page.
Accessing the Clinical Database:
All access to the MIMIC II Clinical Database requires a PhysioNetWorks account, so begin by creating a PhysioNetWorks account if you have not already done so.
The MIMIC II Clinical Database, although de-identified, still contains detailed information regarding the clinical care of patients, and must be treated with appropriate care and respect. Researchers seeking to use the full Clinical Database must formally request access by following these steps:
- Follow the instructions here to create and log in to a PhysioNetWorks account. If you already have a PhysioNetWorks account, log in to it.
- Go to the MIMIC II Clinical Database project page on PhysioNetWorks, and follow the instructions to apply for access.
- All applications are reviewed, and if yours is approved you will receive separate emails containing instructions for downloading the database from PhysioNetWorks, and for exploring the database on-line via the MIMIC project's web site. Note that approval usually requires one or two working days, and will be delayed if your request is missing any required information.
The database can be used in several ways:
- First time users (all levels):
MIMIC II Demo Version (Bootable Image)
- Bootable image with Ubuntu, SQL examples, and small set of records installed
- Open access (no data usage agreement required)
- All necessary software included, pre-installed and fully configured; no setup
- Boot your computer from a USB or CD with this image, or load it into a VM, to launch Ubuntu with a 4000-patient subset from the MIMIC II Clinical Database with a subset of tables
- Relational database users (all levels):
MIMIC II Virtual Machine
- Virtual environment with examples and PostgreSQL pre-installed
- Requires downloading data (no setup)
- After installation, database is installed locally with unlimited access
- Relational database users familiar with SQL:
QueryBuilder (link opens in another window)
- Web-based SQL query tool
- Requires knowledge of SQL
- No download or installation required
MIMIC II Clinical Database flat files
- Entire database (or any subset) as comma-separated values (CSV) text files
- No relational database software required (use any text manipulation or spreadsheet software)
- Advanced relational database users:
Relational MIMIC II Clinical Database
* The MIMIC Importer is software that automates the process of building a relational database hosted on the user's hardware. The process entails installing the open-source PostgreSQL software and importing the MIMIC II Clinical Database flat files into a PostgreSQL database. The MIMIC Importer, and detailed instructions for using it, are available from the MIMIC II Clinical Database pages on PhysioNetWorks.
If you would like help understanding the content of this page, or using and downloading data/software, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
If you have any comments, feedback, or particular questions regarding this page or our website, please send them to the webmaster.
Updated Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 14:51 EDT